Sunday, January 25, 2009

On motivated conceptual metaphor mapping


click for video: Quicktime / .m4v for iPod/iPhone / direct streaming for Pc

“Reminiscences, even extensive ones, do not always amount to an autobiography. For autobiography has to do with time, with sequence and what makes up the continuous flow of life. Here, I am talking of a space, of moments and discontinuities. For even if months and years appear here, it is in the form they have in the moment of recollection. This strange form -- it may be called fleeting or eternal -- is in neither case the stuff that life is made of....yet, the camera introduces us to unconscious optics as does psychoanalysis to unconscious impulses.”

After gathering some footage from his exosomatic memory, Sam Renseiw concocted a moving cognitive map, composed as a diptych; View the unfolding of profane moves in a sacred crimson path followed by a complementary green spatial botanical traverse by clicking here or on the links above. (patafilm # 659, 04'09'', 33.5MB, Quicktime/mov - other versions at Blip.tv)

Today's Bonus Lumiere Video features a mute, didactic and multi-framed composition, conveying the making of an architectural masterpiece. (Lum # 176, "sverre's didactics" 0'59'', 6MB, Quicktime/mov )

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger gurdonark said...

This morning by coincidence I listened to music by the "sacred minimalist" composers (much of which can be accessed, by the way, for free on last.fm). The idea of music or a physical space as "consecrated" or "sacred" is an interesting idea, and one apparently almost innate in people to hold, as it seems to cross so many cultures and so many different faiths.

On a business trip last year, I found myself staying a weekend in Pittsburgh, due to matters scheduled on both Friday and Monday on a case. Pittsburgh belies its former image as a mere steel town, as after the steel had gone away, the town focused instead on higher learning, with carnegie=mellon, Pitt, Duquesne, and other universities providing a huge employment base.

On this particular Sunday, I debated going to the "sacred space" of a Unitarian Universalist church for services, but instead went to the sacred space of a gorgeous indoors botanical garden in a glass structure. It looked like your Copenhagen garden here.
If it were any less sacred than any other space, then neither the plants nor are are convinced.
I had my mp3 earplugs in, and the music seemed sacred, in its way.

The use of the wonderful Buddha Machine loops (what an impact that device has made on the "normalizing" of unstructured but programmed music) reminds me that
I had mentioned your weblog to
Phillip Henderson, who is both the curator of the last.fm pataphysics group but also the curator of the vertical music group, a group about that music which can be started or stopped at any part along the way, as if in a dissection or a sampling. http://www.last.fm/group/Vertical+Music. As Mr. Henderson's weblog on this topic, also listed at that site, has some interesting reviews of ideas congenial to some of these films, I thought I would mention his efforts.

I like very much the contrast in the two sections of film here--and I am delighted to see my song accompany a botanical delight.

Monday, January 26, 2009 2:54:00 am  
Blogger SAM RENSEIW said...

thanks ! just checked out the last.fm site:
great stuff, and funny to see that there is even a pataphysics group.
the verticalmusic group is certainly a fine and respectable gathering. will check the site out further. ( seem it also has video...)

amazed and impressed at your ubiquitous, generous and very active presence in so many musical fora.
thanks again for charing your finds.

Monday, January 26, 2009 9:02:00 pm  
Blogger SAM RENSEIW said...

lastfm: superb place, where your (gurdonarks) music fits so well in. a nine spread of titles that i did not hear before.

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 7:51:00 pm  
Blogger gurdonark said...

Thanks for the kind word.

I've become much involved in last.fm in the past few weeks, and I must say I am impressed with how far the site has come. I've always enjoyed the way it tracks whom among its users listens to my songs, but now I think I'll post more of my own work there as well.

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 11:45:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home