Monday, August 30, 2010

On figure-ground perceptions



click for video: Quicktime / .m4v for iPad/iPod / direct streaming for PC

" And the music itself was wonderful. At first it struck me as exaggerated, artificial, even incomprehensible. Little by little, though, with repeated listenings, a vague image formed in my mind--an image that had meaning. When I closed my eyes and concentrated, the music came to me as a series of whirlpools. One whirlpool would form, and out of it another would take shape. And the second whirlpool would connect up with a third. Those whirlpools, I realize now, had a conceptual, abstract quality to them ... With ears perked up and eyes closed, I imagined the existence of a certain place. This place I imagined was still incomplete. It was misty, indistinct, its outlines vague. Yet I was sure that something absolutely vital lay waiting for me there.."

While paraphrasing Murakami (again) Sam Renseiw, slowly shifting gear from splintered, stressfully decontructed workpatterns to (hopefuly) more friendly, northbound comming environments, composed a simple aller-retour-voodle from slightly older footage. View the figure-ground slide by clicking here or on the links above.(patafilm # 788, 02'15'', 27.5MB, Quicktime/mov -other versions at Bliptv)

Today's Bonus Lumiere Video is a very straight forward illumination. [Lum # 281, "candela" , 01'00'', Quicktime/mov)

Labels: , , , , ,