Thursday, October 09, 2008

On rites of passage


click for video: Quicktime / .m4v for iPod / direct streaming for PC

" And yet, and yet . . . Denying temporal succession, denying the self, denying the astronomical universe, are apparent desperations and secret consolations. Time is the substance we are made of. Time is a river which sweeps us along, but we are the river.."

Travelling at high speed in a fjord, Sam Renseiw remembered the exquisite prose of Borges, quickly paraphrasing a passage. View a part of the sensuous cruise back towards Bergen by clicking here or on the links above. (patafilm # 634, 02'05'' -filmed in full HD, unfortunately still clumsily compressed- 11.7MB, Quicktime/mov - other versions at Blip.tv)

Today's Bonus Lumiere Video features the royal way of travelling by boat . (Lum # 155, " royal disembarkation " 01'00'' , 4.8Mb, Quicktime/mov)

Today's Patalab Metaphor Video features a simultaneous mermaid. (patafilm # 163, loop,[08.05.2006 post] 1.7 MB, mov/quicktime)

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Robert said...

Ah, this beautiful (HD!) passage of time. I'm flung back to the Finnish archipelago in '76 and a life-changing summer, where the visceral infusion of place was sown beautifully deep in my young mind. With On Rites of Passage I'm tasting the air and feeling the breeze and remembering.

This is utterly gorgeous, Sam. And not one I've put on my iPod, yet. I've been watching a lot on my iPod recently, because I've been traveling about quite a bit. Reason I've been slow with my comments on your magnificent work. But comment I shall and watching I am!

Thursday, October 09, 2008 12:06:00 pm  
Blogger Philip Sanderson said...

Ah so the camera works!

Thursday, October 09, 2008 10:29:00 pm  
Blogger SAM RENSEIW said...

thanks!
yes, the camera works well, except that the files tend to expand by a power of 10, so it sort of clogs the hard disk.

will post some shorter bits then, i the next week. and: as i also have been travelling, expect some "japonisme" :-)

Sunday, October 19, 2008 3:56:00 pm  
Blogger Philip Sanderson said...

Yes maybe time to get one of those super big external firewire hard drives.

Monday, October 20, 2008 3:55:00 pm  
Anonymous wu yi-hua said...

hi! sam,

i'm in Copenhagen. yestoday i've visited the exhibition in kunsthal charlottenborg->caspar david friedrich never made it to sweden...he stayed in denmark<. this video is just suit for the that!
otherwise, there is a pi├Ęce of work->continuous present< by Lennart Alves; that lets me stop for a while.. what a surprise from this city! this work lets me think of you and my old work, so i come to send a greeting here.
my best regards

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 1:17:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home