Saturday, December 01, 2007

On the ontology of stable


click for video: Quicktime / Flash and other versions at Blip.tv

"More than often we pass from one place to the next, from one space to the following without pondering to measure, to chart, to realise theses lapses of space. The problem lies not in the invention of space, even less its re-invention, but in its questioning, or simpler, its reading ; For what we label as quotidian is not evidence but opacity: a sort of blindness, a form of anaesthesia, to be redeemed by acts of hearty voodling."

Still dabbling with various ways on how to re-vision the seen and to re-charter familiar spaces, Sam Renseiw paraphrases Georges Perec while posting - one more - voodle of the past two days captured footage. Try a pataphysical OuLiPian reading of two spaces and a saddling by clicking here or on the links above. (patafilm # 541, 02'09'',12.4MB, Quicktime/mov - Other streaming versions for Pc at Blip.tv)

Last month was NaVloPoMo'07. A real treat! Thanks to all participants for some inspiring and fresh new video-vistas. (still viewing some)... I did not dare participate, as a busy schedule could jeopardise the pledge of one video per day. Nevertheless it turned out that the quota was attainable, anyhow... Promise to join the next round! Best regards. Sam.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger gurdonark said...

Dear Sam:

I wanted to give you a tribute for your use (and your fun mash-ups) of my music in your recent voodles.

I created a new song called "Moodle", a "musical doodle" inspired by your work.

It is located at:
http://ccmixter.org/media/files/gurdonark/12751

As I know that lumiere films cannot have soundtracks, I imagined this piece as the imaginary orchestra which accompanies the screening of your silent films.

I explained your work over at ccmixter. Thank you for your work in this area, and I look forward to seeing more of your films.

best, robert,
who records as gurdonark

Sunday, December 02, 2007 6:08:00 am  
Blogger gurdonark said...

p.s.

"stables" is a very nice film. I love when the jockey and the horse are shown in shadow. Also, great sound track from magnatune! I love that label.

Sunday, December 02, 2007 12:51:00 pm  
Blogger SAM RENSEIW said...

thank you so much robert!

the "moodle" is, indeed, amazing!
a feast for ears and constant happy rebounds... playfull, yet finely structured. (realy, random?). such a fine piece of composition.
seems simple to manefacture, from your generous explanations, but it sure takes a very fine-tuned, talented "ear" to put it together...

even beats some of vicky's /peoplelikeus >
http://peoplelikeus.org
great tracks in its jolly playfulness

thanks also for inspiration in the (con)textual writing that follows with the moodle at ccmixter.

Sunday, December 02, 2007 3:50:00 pm  
Blogger gurdonark said...

Hi Sam:

I'm glad you liked "Moodle". I enjoyed putting it together.

Although I used a "random sample" function at http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/

the assemblage was not random, but instead a fairly labor-intensive selection process. I wanted the samples to not all be sounds that would fit "in nature", and yet to all "fit" as elements of the song.
My goal was to ensure that the result was a song that used the samples musically (within the "doodle") rather than just making a sound collage. Sound collages are fun, but my goal was more in the musical range. As you guessed, a great deal of structure went into the sample assembly into the song.

This is perhaps consistent with theory (though I am not a pataphyisicist) because devoted patterned use of absurd sounds to make a song seems to me more pleasing than mere mash-up of samples without a theoretical basis :).

My secondary goal is to let people know about your videos. I hope that at least a few viewers click over from the mixter to watch your films.


I will go check out those peoplelikeus.org tracks.

If you hunt other songs or artists to use for your videos, I suggest the netlabel I co-own with Verian Thomas, http://www.negativesoundinstitute.com

I'm sure any of our artists would be flattered to be used in your
work.

I'm glad you liked the Moodle, which is but a small measure of thanks for your kindness in using my work.

best, bob

Sunday, December 02, 2007 4:40:00 pm  
Blogger SAM RENSEIW said...

:-)
whaw!
negativesoundinstitute: superb !
(a most positive link - a space of appreciation)

Sunday, December 02, 2007 5:33:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home