Thursday, August 07, 2008

On reflected reality portraiture


click for video: Quicktime / .m4v for iPod / streaming version for PC at Blip.tv

"...What he thinks of anything will always depend on some possible context - nothing is, to him, what it is; everything is subject to change, in flux, part of a whole, of an infinite number of wholes presumably adding up to a superwhole that, however, he knows nothing about. So every answer he gives is only a partial answer, every feeling only an opinion, and he never cares what something is, only 'how' it is."

Reality can only be portrayed when one constructs it,” ponders Sam Renseiw, paraphrasing Gursky and reflecting on Musil's "The Man Without Qualities". View the cut-up docu-voodle with fine, intriguing soundtrack overlay from Gurdonark by clicking here or on the links above. (patafilm # 616, 02'03'', 12.4Mb, Quicktime/mov - other versions at Blip.tv)

Today's Bonus Lumiere Video features a quiet, intense contemplative intermezzo of a space within a space. (Lum #136, "space in space",00'46'',3.3Mb, Quicktime/mov.) As always, fine other's Lumieres at the main site.

Today's Patalab Metaphor Video re-play supplement features diverse paraphernalia and a felt suit.(patafilm#217, 02'17''[23.07.2008 post], 10.2 MB, Quicktime/mov.

Labels: , , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger SAM RENSEIW said...

thank you gurdonark!

congratulations for the "featured artist" and the interview. ( most instructive, many generous and kind insights, and certainly: not long at all). Thank you also for the kind words on my (still fumbling) visual work.

As always, your fine compositions have a distinctive serendipituous effect when i try to edit some footage.
Your recent track "thanks flo kirby", contributed intriguingly to the cutting-up/editing of the # 616 video. (posting it on august 7)
The spoken word(s) and the syncopated sound effects gave this short piece a surprising dimension, permitting a whole array of new reflection(s)... enabling to re-assess my impression(s) of Gursky's works in a new setting, re-configuring the many thoughts into some oblique, ambiguous side-traks. Thus, resulting in a voodle with a quite different "story-line", offsetting a descriptive approach and transposing it into a more pataphysical realm. Remembering Musil's work, while currently reading Denis Grozdanovitch's " "Reveurs et Nageurs".

Thursday, August 07, 2008 3:52:00 pm  
Blogger gurdonark said...

Thank you, Sam!


It may be that you know this already, but I will take this chance to explain the spoken word phrases. Each is a phrase used to memorize the notes in the musical scales. Every Good Boy Does Fine is the notes EGBDF, and so forth, which helps one memorize easily how to "read" sheet music.

The juxtaposition of the Gursky and the memorization phrases is really effective--and makes the "story-line" almost a commentary, but perhaps a commentary only in the best "automatic writing" sense.
In short, an ideal pataphysical voodle.

I see that I am too little familiar with not one but three people (Gursky, Musil, Grozdanovitch), but what else are ideas for, if not to learn and swim in them?

This time the serendipity was truly our ally, to my delight!
Thanks for all the use you make of my music in your films, which I enjoy very much.

Friday, August 08, 2008 12:35:00 am  
Blogger gurdonark said...

n.b.

I see you got chosen for that German minimovies festival! Congratulations! My own hastily-assembled lo-fi video appears to have missed the mark. still, it was fun putting it together, so that I will certainly enter one again!

best, r.

Saturday, August 09, 2008 12:35:00 am  
Blogger ps said...

I learnt EGBDF as Every Good Boy Deserves Fun; though I'm sure there are far more salacious versions.

Saturday, August 09, 2008 10:23:00 am  
Blogger gurdonark said...

I posted something in my weblog recently to ask everyone what they learned, and Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge turned out a very popular entry.

Saturday, August 09, 2008 2:13:00 pm  
Blogger SAM RENSEIW said...

> gurdonark
thanks!
yes, indeed: a compilation of 3 short voodles will be screened at the "festival des kleinen films". will compress them for a post here mext week or so.
and:
you will be present too, as all the soundtraks on them are gurdonark's :-)
(and thank you again for mentioning the call for entries! if it was not for that reminder, i would not have noticed the event.)

Saturday, August 09, 2008 11:54:00 pm  
Blogger gurdonark said...

I'm grateful to you, Sam, for using my material in the festival.
I'll look forward to seeing which soundtracks are involved! What fun!

I had used my simple digicam instead of my vidcam, and ended up with something awfully lo-fi, and hence not surprising to be omitted, though I liked it. I'm glad your entry "made the cut"! :)

I think my next one (after a simple Texas hike I did today gets converted to film and music by Doghouse Riley) will be a photo-motion of a chess game, perhaps featuring the intricate charms of the games of Tigran Petrosian.

Sunday, August 10, 2008 4:07:00 am  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home